We can’t evacuate Ghanaian students in China – Government

Must Read

Prince David Osei alleges his life under threat following his Mahama comment

Ghanaian actor and movie producer, Prince David Osei has revealed that his life has come under threat following his...

Telcos debunk Minister’s hidden revenue allegation, demand proof

Telecom operators in the country are once again challenging the Communications Minister, Ursula Owusu Ekuful to provide the documented...

New electoral roll: Number of captured voters understandable – Prof Gyampo

Political Science Lecturer at the University of Ghana, Prof. Ransford Gyampo has said the number of voters captured in...

Government says it cannot move out Ghanaian students living in the lockdown Chinese city, Wuhan, following the fast-spread of the novel coronavirus.

The decision comes on the back of recommendations by the World Health Organization, West African Health Organization, the United States Centers for Disease Control and other Development Partners.

242 more people died in the Hubei province in China from the coronavirus nicknamed COVID-19 on Wednesday, February 12, 2020, bringing the death toll across China to 1,355.

So far, nearly 60,000 people have been infected by the virus the world over.

This development has heightened fears of Ghanaian students living in China as well as a section of the Ghanaian populace in China. They have thus called on the government of Ghana to immediately evacuate them.

But the government, through the Health Ministry has declined the request on the recommendations of various disease control centers and development partners.

According to a statement signed by Health Minister, Kwaku Agyemang Manu, the government is not encouraged to undertake any mass evacuation of students from China but is still monitoring the situation for the next line of action.

“We are working in collaboration with the World Health Organization, West African Health Organization, US Centres for Disease Control and other Development partners, discussing and reviewing our strategies day by day. So far, all advice through consultations and engagements is not encouraging us to undertake mass evacuation as yet because of the following. (1)Subregional consultations – the West African Health Organization is engaging member states and has not recommended evacuation yet and (2)Public Health principles in outbreak situations.

“All these notwithstanding, we are reviewing the situation by the hour and when it becomes necessary, we will tow the next line of action as appropriate, including evacuation,” the statement indicated.

The Ministry, however, assured the general public including parents of the students in Wuhan that all Ghanaian students in the epicentre are in “good hands and are being taken care of.”

“We are in constant engagement with Ghana’s ambassador in China as well as the Chinese authorities through their ambassador in Ghana. Information reaching us indicates that so far not a single Ghanaians in China or elsewhere on the globe has been affected. We once again wish to reassure Ghanaians, especially parents and relations of Ghanaians and in particular Ghanaians in Wuhan city and entire Hubei Province that our citizens are in good hands and are being taken care of. The Ghana Embassy in China is in constant engagement with them and have been constantly updating us of events,” the statement added.

The Government, according to the statement is ‘much concerned about our citizens in China especially the Ghanaian students, is working to ensure their protection, safety and wellbeing as we continue to supply basic needs.”

 

Read the full statement below:

 

Source: ABCNewsgh.com

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

[Opinion] From corona quacks to corona thieves

Anas Aremeyaw Anas does not produce political exposés in an election year. Check his record. He never does. He has...

Juventus sack Sarri after failed Champions League campaign

Italian champions, Juventus have sacked their Coach, Maurizio Sarri after a season at the helm of the club. The decision follows a disappointing spell in...

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Juventus, Real Madrid kicked out of Champions League

Juventus and Real Madrid have been kicked out of the UEFA Champions League after failing to secure needed points. At the Etihad, Real Madrid couldn't...

US watchdog warns about life-threatening hand sanitizer

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cautioned members of the public against using certain alcohol-based sanitizers with a dangerous presence of methanol. Methanol...

Closure of Nduom’s GN bank part of Akufo-Addo’s plot to shut his opponents’ businesses – PPP

The Progressive People's Party (PPP) has said the banking sector clean up which resulted in the closure of banks belonging to prominent Ghanaians is...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: