Vormawor Torture Claims: 30 people sleeping in a cell meant for 3 does not amount to torture – Dep. Attorney-General

Must Read

Deputy Attorney-General for the Republic of Ghana, Alfred Yeboah has debunked claims that Convenor for #FixTheCountry Movement, Oliver Barker Vormawor was tortured by security personnel whiles in detention.

The embattled convenor for the pressure group made this allegation against the security agencies when he made his first public address after he was granted bail.

“On Friday, 11 February 2022, I was unlawfully detained by security officials of this regime, tortured, and subsequently held without just cause for 35 days,” he said in his first public statement since his release.

But the Deputy Attorney-General in reacting to these claims has indicated that the allegations are baseless adding that he failed to provide enough evidence to support his claims.

Speaking on Accra-based JoyNews, Mr. Alfred Yeboah noted that he cannot fathom how 30 people in a cell originally meant for 3 people amounts to torture considering the public knowledge that Ghana’s is heavily constrained with prison resources.

“Talking about torture, I beg to differ, unless he provides other evidence. From what I have listened to, he is talking about a cell meant for three, keeping about thirty. How does that amount to torture?” he quizzed.

He continued “he is not the only person who has been to a cell or prison facility. I’ve known people who have been to prison, they’ve come back and seen the conditions there and they had cried about the conditions there, he may have a point there.”

“We don’t have a 100 percent prison and cell conditions in Ghana due to, of course resource constraints, but every government has been trying to make sure that we get the best out of it in the circumstance for ourselves…what he has said so far does not amount to any aspect of torture,” he added.

SourceABC News

Submit your stories or articles to [email protected] or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

Wayne Rooney quits as Derby County boss

Wayne Rooney has told troubled Derby County that he wishes to be "relieved of his duties as first-team manager"...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: