A video has emerged showing how some students of the Accra High school who were rushed to the Adabraka Polyclinic Tuesday over alleged food poisoning, sorely reacted to the condition , ABC News can report.
The video sighted by ABC News depicts how some of the affected students retched uncontrollably, while others laid down helplessly at the Polyclinic.
It also shows health personnel at the facility attending to the victims to ensure their situation improved.
Some students of the Accra High school were on Tuesday admitted at the Adabraka Polyclinic after they were rushed to the health facility over suspected food poisoning.
Reports suggest that the students complained of severe stomach ache, while others vomited after consuming kenkey served them by the school.
A highly placed source revealed to ABC News that more than 100 students were admitted.
“I’ve been informed it’s been happening frequently and the students keep complaining about their food and the effects it’s having on them; yet their heads have turned a deaf ear to their plight on the basis of lack of funds for decent meals.
“The sad part about all of this is we the wards of the students have been called to come make payments for their treatments even with their NHIS. I’m pleading for your say in this abhorrent matter,” the source lamented.
But authorities of the school have since dismissed the reports, indicating that they suspect the students might have picked up the ailment from a meal they ate at a sporting event at the El-Wak stadium Tuesday.
“They attended an inter-schools sports festival at EL-Wak. When they returned, some of them were reporting of their tummies so they were taken to the Adabraka Polyclinic.
“But we are suspecting that when they went to El-Wak they might have taken something that is not good for them, hence the reaction,” the housemaster of the school Mr Ernest Koomson stated.
He claimed that the victims numbered about only 15 as against the high numbers reported by the media. He assured parents that there was no need to panic as the situation was under control.
Some of the students have since been treated and discharged.
Authorities of the school were tight-lipped when ABC News visited the school on Wednesday to ascertain the cause of the incident and status of the affected students.
A victim, who had been treated and discharged however, disclosed that he did not eat any food at El-Wak, contrary to the claims of the housemaster.
Watch the video below