Sim re-registration brouhaha: Group launches campaign urging Ghanaians not to make phone calls in protest

Must Read

In order to register their displeasure with the way and manner of the ongoing sim card re-registration exercise, some concerned Ghanaians are advocating for all Ghanaians to boycott some services of all the telecommunication companies in Ghana.

The group, calling itself Concerned Mobile Network Subscribers is calling on Ghanaians not to make mobile phone calls on Tuesday, February 8, 2022 as a means of protesting what they describe as “the circus surrounding the SIM card re-registration.”

Leading member of the group, is the former Member of Parliament for Kunbungu, Ras Mubarak who had earlier indicated his decision not to register his sim card due to the cumbersome and time consuming nature of the processes involved in the exercise.

Other notable signatories of this campaign are; Professor Raymond Atugubah, Mr Kofi Bentsil, Mr Franklin Cudjoe, Mr Samson Lardy Anyenini , Manasseh Azure Awuni among others.

In a press statement released on Thursday, January 13, 2022, the group announced that “the No Calls Day boycott on 8th February would be the first in a series of national boycotts to protest against the current inhumane process of re-registration of SIM cards.”

According to them, there is no law in Ghana that requires Ghanaian mobile network subscribers to “Re-register” their SIM cards.

“Any attempt to impose this on subscribers or block their lines would amount to an infringement of their property rights,” the group said.

The group, therefore, wants the National Communication Authority (NCA) to immediately withdraw its directive for mobile network customers to re-register their SIM cards by March 31, 2022.

They say if the National Communication Authority (NCA) and Mobile Network Operators do not heed to their demands, they shall on February 8 begin the first of a series of planned boycotts until the rights of customers to be treated with dignity are respected.

“When the appropriate legal framework is in place, a re-registration exercise can be done without having subscribers spend productive hours and several days in long queues in the midst of a ravaging Covid-19 pandemic,” the statement said.

“There’s understandably a need to eliminate crime. But the fight against criminals must be within the law. We therefore demand that the NCA and Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) must come up with a better and innovative way of re-registering the SIM cards by first amending existing law; and secondly to do so without the current inhumane re-registration process we are witnessing”.

Read the entire statement below;

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Accra, 13th January 2022.

GHANAIANS TO BOYCOTT MOBILE PHONE NETWORKS

We, the undersigned Concerned Mobile Network Subscribers, having consulted Ghanaians across the country, have set aside Tuesday 8th February 2022 as a “No Calls Day.” On that day, we call on all Ghanaians not to make or receive phone calls as a way of registering our disquiet about the circus surrounding the SIM card re-registration excercise.

The No Calls Day boycott on 8th February, would be the first in a series of national boycotts to protest against the current inhumane process of re-registration of SIM cards.

There is no law in Ghana that requires Ghanaian mobile network subscribers to “Re-register” their SIM cards.

Any attempt to impose this on subscribers or block their lines would amount to an infringement of their property rights.

Our demands are as follows:

(I) The National Communication Authority (NCA) should immediately withdraw its directive for mobile network customers to re-register their SIM cards by 31st March 2022.

(II) When the appropriate legal framework is in place, a re-registration exercise can be done without having subscribers spend productive hours and several days in long queues in the midst of a ravaging Covid-19 pandemic.

(II) There’s understandably a need to eliminate crime. But the fight against criminals must be within the law. We therefore demand that the NCA and Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) must come up with a better and innovative way of re-registering the SIM cards by first amending existing law; and secondly to do so without the current inhumane re-registration process we are witnessing.

If the NCA and the MNOs fail to heed these demands, we shall, starting Tuesday, 8th February 2022 begin the first of a series of planned boycotts until the rights of customers to be treated with dignity are respected.

Signed:

Mr. Ras Mubarak
Prof. Raymond Atuguba
Mr. Kofi Bentsil
Mr. Franklin Cudjoe
Mr. Kofi Kakraba Pratt
Dr. Kwesi Owusu
Mr. James Afedo
Mr. Selorm Branttie
Mr. Francis Kofi Korankye-Sakyi
Mr. Samson Lardy Anyenini
Mr. Manasseh Azure Awuni
Akyaaba Addai – Sebo
Mr Kwame Mfodwo
Mr Michael Ofori – Akuffo

Submit your stories or articles to [email protected] or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

Former England boss Roy Hodgson takes charge at Watford

Watford appointed former England boss Roy Hodgson as their third manager of the season on Tuesday following the dismissal...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: