Rwanda discovers new genocide mass grave with about 30,000 bodies after 26 years

Must Read

Joy News’ Latif Iddrisu faces stigmatization from colleagues, friends after contact with suspected COVID-19 patient

A Broadcast Journalist with the Multimedia Group, Latif Iddrisu has had his fair share of stigmatization after coming into...

WHO elects Ghana’s Health Minister to serve on Executive Board

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has elected the Minister for Health, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu to serve on the Executive Board...

Odeneho Kwafo Akoto III is a ‘self-styled’ Akwamumanhene – Kumasi High Court rules

The Yaa Ansaa Royal Family of Akwamu in the Asuogyaman District of the Eastern Region has appealed to the...

As Rwanda marks 27 years of its genocide today, authorities have uncovered a mass grave pit which is estimated to contain about 30,000 bodies of the mass killing victims during the genocide.

According to reports, the grave pit was discovered through the account of some convicted persons of the genocide who have been released after serving their sentences and some residents closer to the pit.

The grave was found in a valley outside Rwanda’s capital, Kigali. A total of 50 bodies have been exhumed so far with efforts by authorities to exhume the bodies for a befitting burial being hampered due to the coronavirus pandemic which calls for social distancing.

According to a report by The Independent, the discovery is being called the most significant in years and comes ahead of the 26th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide happening today, Tuesday, April 7, 2020.

“The challenge we face now is that the valley dam contains water, but we are trying to dry it up,” said Naphtal Ahishakiye, the executive secretary of genocide survivor organisation Ibuka.

Authorities said the dam was dug years before the genocide to provide water for rice farming. As graves of genocide victims are discovered, some survivors have questioned whether true reconciliation can be realised if perpetrators of the killings conceal information about where people were buried.

Exhuming bodies during the coronavirus pandemic is very challenging since people cannot gather, said Mr. Ahishakiye, adding: “But we try our best so that we give the dead a decent burial.”

The country will follow events for this year’s anniversary on television and social media due to a ban on public gatherings.

The genocide took place between 7 April and 15 July in 1994. Ethnic Hutu extremists targeted and slaughtered members of the minority Tutsi community, as well as their political opponents irrespective of their ethnic origin. About 70 percent of the country’s Tutsi population was killed.

 

Source: ABCNewsgh.com

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

Christians dominate Ghanaian politics yet corruption on the rise – Catholic Bishops

President of the Ghana Catholic Bishops’ Conference, Most Rev Philip Naameh is lamenting why Christians dominate Ghanaian politics yet...

Two ‘people’ from Hull City test positive for COVID-19

English football club, Hull City has announced that two people have tested positive for COVID-19. However the club did not state if those who tested...

Bournemouth player tests positive for COVID-19

English Premier League club, A.F.C Bournemouth has revealed that one of its players has tested positive for COVID-19. EPL's governing body began rolling out blanket...

Government likely to ease restrictions next week – President Akufo-Addo hints

President Nana Addo Dankwa-Akufo-Addo has hinted at easing restrictions in the country by next week. Speaking at this year’s virtual Eid ul-Fitr celebrations, President Akufo-Addo...

Odeneho Kwafo Akoto III is a ‘self-styled’ Akwamumanhene – Kumasi High Court rules

The Yaa Ansaa Royal Family of Akwamu in the Asuogyaman District of the Eastern Region has appealed to the government, institutions, public and private...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: