The Executive Director of the Institute for Energy Security, Paa Kwasi Anamua Sakyi, has called on the Special Prosecutor, Martin Amidu, to investigate the processes that led to the State awarding the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) concession deal to the Power Distribution Services (PDS), ABC News can report.
According to him, proper due diligence was not followed in awarding the deal to PDS as the State engaged in exorbitant expenditure in the process, and indicated that the investigation will bring to the fore whether or not there was value for money.
Mr. Anamua Sakyi believes the nation has been short-changed and he is, therefore, certain that the intervention of the Special Prosecutor will unravel the rot surrounding the deal and blow the cover of the perpetrators.
His call follows the government’s declaration of its intention to abrogate the PDS concession deal after conducting investigations into an alleged fraud on the part of PDS which led to the suspension of the deal on July 30 this year.
“You can’t take Ghanaians for a ride and you can’t waste our time using an asset of close to about $4 billion for your private gain to the extent that you even use the cash flow of ECG to go and pay for your premium; this is fraud and so I think that questions need to be asked.
“And now for the purposes of value for money, where we have spent close to GH₵50 million in services; hiring lawyers and advisors towards helping the takeover process yet ending up with a cancelled deal I think it must be a concern to even the special prosecutor to at least interrogate the extent to which due process was followed in the award of the contract,” he said.
Speaking in an interview with 3 FM, Anamua Sakyi averred that the call by some Ghanaians for investigations and prosecution of persons involved in the alleged fraud is not far-fetched.
The Energy Minister, Mr Peter Amewu in an earlier statement said that a complaint had been lodged with the Criminal Investigate Department of the Ghana Police Service to investigate the issues of fraud surrounding the deal.
“Now that it has been confirmed by government’s own investigation that PDS was involved in some unethical issues and fraudulent activities, it’s only fair that we refer the matter to the body that has to deal with such persons,” he said.
He noted that the deal has embarrassed the State and dented the reputation of Ghana, adding that “if we go shopping on the market today, we will have to bear a higher cost and we have to go at a very weak position.”
He cautioned the government to be careful of the next step it takes and not to rush into another deal using restrictive tender because it has its weaknesses and potential to breed corruption.
“Now you talk of restrictive tender, you know what this one can do. What it does is only few people will come to the table for a discussion and what it does is it promotes corruption and cronyism. It kills transparency, it leads to high cost of services arrangement and does not provide value for money, we should be careful the next step we take,” he warned.
Ghana and the Millennium Challenge Corporation have agreed on a December 31 deadline for the establishment of a new power concession but Anamua Sakyi is skeptical Ghana will be able to meet the deadline.