Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has pledged the resolve of the government to ensure that majority of road contractors owed by the government receive payments for their certificates by November this year, ABC News can report.
Speaking at the 43rd celebration of Kobine Festival at Lawra in the Upper West Region, the Vice-President said the plan is to pay 80% of contractors whose certificates have been vetted and approved by November.
The remaining 20 percent, who embarked on very huge projects, will initially receive 40 percent of their amount by November this year and a schedule rolled out to be paid the balance.
Dr Bawumia was optimistic that “it is going to be a game-changer for our roads in Ghana.”
“By November, 80% of all road contractors, the government owes will receive full payment for their certificates. The remaining 20% who turn to be the very big contractors will initially receive 40% of their amount to start with,” the Vice President told the gathering.
Some contractors who prefinanced their projects and were owed various sums of monies by the government have abandoned their projects, awaiting payments before returning to the site.
In July this year, some angry contractors besieged the premises of the Ministry of Roads and Highways to demand the payment of amounts of money owed them over the past three years.
The contractors, who said they had executed contracts such as routine maintenance, construction of drains, cocoa roads and asphalting, complained that they had not been paid since 2016.
Government has since engaged the road contractors to come up with a workable plan to clear the arrears owed them.
Addressing the gathering, Dr. Bawumia said the payment will be made for various projects to be completed across the country.
He also assured the Paramount Chief of Lawra, Naa Puowelle Karbo III, that the Dikpe Bridge which is of critical concern to the people in the area will be constructed to facilitate trade and movement.
Dr. Bawumia said that the project will include the construction of a 275-meter span bridge, a rest stop, a toll booth, and a plaza.