The National Democratic Congress (NDC) branch in Takoradi is alleging that a lot of the road project for which President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia cut sod for in the Western Region have still not started even though they claim to have secured funds for them already.
Describing the projects as ‘sakawa projects’ the NDC argued that President Akufo-Addo and his government, after grand sod-cutting ceremonies, have failed to execute physical works on those projects, even to convince the people of the region that the projects are real.
The NDC in the Western Region argues that the government has taken the region, including the chiefs, for granted, and worst of all, insulted them with their gross ‘dishonesty’.
The unexecuted projects they listed included the 15-kilometer Kejebir – Mpohor road, which President Akufo-Addo cut the sod for on June 18, 2018; a 100-bed Shama District Hospital, for which the president said they government had already secured 32 million euros, and the Akyernyim Nkwanta – Egyam road in the Ahanta West District, initiated in August 2020.
The others are Takoradi PTC Interchange, a component of the US$2 billion Sinohydro Master Project, for which Vice President Bawumia cut the sod on September 16, 2020.
The NDC took journalists round the various project sites and showed them the bare grounds to buttress their claim that no project has started since sod-cutting.
Western Region Communications Officer for the NDC, Richard Kirk Mensah told journalists in Takoradi that the Western Region deserves much better than they are being offered by the Akufo-Addo government.
He was particularly worried that the president invited the chiefs and people of the various communities where the projects were to be done and he cut sod in their presence but till date nothing is happening.
Richard Mensah said the president is on record as saying work is progressing steadily on the Takoradi Interchange, meanwhile nothing is being done as of today.
“We know some of the NPP guys who wore working gear just for the sod-cutting after which the gave back the attire to the contractor and the sand and stones brought to the site have been taken back to wherever they brought it from,” he said.
He also said, as for the Kejebir – Mpohor road, “we all know this government has abandoned it since 2018 but with the rest they are just playing sakawa games with the people of the Western Region and we will keep exposing them.”
Richard Kirk Mensah said the president is on record as saying that he is not like those who will cut sod for projects without first securing the funds, and yet several of the road projects he cut sod for from 2018 till date have not been done.
“I know this government is capable of bringing some sakawa contractors on the road just to throw dust in the eyes of Ghanaians – they have done it before and they can do it again, but we will continue to expose them to make sure Ghanaians don’t make the mistake of voting for them again,” he said.