Minority’s request for new budget unnecessary – Economist

Must Read

Video: The 40-year story of Ghanaians in Calgary, Canada

This pulsating story echoes the universal disorienting experience of immigrants everywhere. It looks at the past, present and future...

Government to pay workers’ wages and salaries on January 22, 2020

Civil, public servants and workers under the Ghana Education Service should expect to be paid their salaries on January...

List of winners of NPP “orphan constituencies” Primaries

The governing New Patriotic Party on Saturday, September 28, organised primaries in 100 Constituencies to elect parliamentary candidates for...
www.abcnewsgh.comhttps://abcnewsgh.com
ABC News Ghana is an investigative media house that focuses on politics, sports and the economy. Our work is thoroughly researched, balanced and fair. Our vision is to become the most preferred indigenous news brand for men in West Africa.

An economist, Dr. Kofi Lindsay has described as preposterous, demands by the Minority in Parliament for a new budget to addresses the current difficulties in the country.

He says the supplementary budgets presented over the years have afforded governments the avenue to rectify what may not have been properly catered for.

The Minority is asking for a new budget over claims that the budget presented last November cannot deal with current vulnerabilities of the economy.

But speaking on Eyewitness News, the economist indicated that the request was unnecessary.

“Normally when budget estimations are made at the beginning points, there is always an opportunity to provide a supplementary budget. So there is no need for a fresh budget. The projections were there, these are plans for revenue and expenditure that have been made. And if for instance, the expenditure is out of line,  there is the possibility for the government to come up with a supplementary budget. So I don’t think a fresh budget is necessary.”

“There is no need for a fresh budget because the government is making projections for the whole year so there is no need to restart the everything”, Dr. Lindsay added.

Minority demands a new budget from gov’t over ‘economic challenges’

At a stakeholder engagement, Minority Spokesperson on Finance, Cassiel Ato Forson asked the government to at least come before Parliament with a statement outlining critical policy changes that will enhance the prospects of the economy.

“The rapid decline in the value of the cedi has thrown the economy in disarray and the projections surrounding it as contained in 2019 budget. This has therefore undermined the confidence in the economy which is also sending wrong signals to the investor community. This calls for urgent steps to be taken by government to restore the economy.”

“The starting point is that we should be considering a new budget which considers all the distortions and serious problems occasioned by the fall of the value of the cedi. At the minimum we expect a statement to Parliament assuring the nation on the steps taken by government to address the instability of the economy. The budget as presented by the Minister of Finance can no longer be relied upon. It’s credibility and stability have completely been undermined by the cedi,” he added.

Cedi depreciation: ‘We should be okay’ in a couple of weeks – Ofori Atta

Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, last week said the free fall of the cedi against major foreign currencies especially the dollar will be curtailed in the coming weeks.

He said the government expects some fresh injection of capital such as the $750 million Standard Bank bridge facility to deal with the challenges the cedi is currently facing.

The state’s short term intervention

The government expects the fresh injection of capital such as the $750 million Standard Bank bridge facility to deal with the challenges the cedi is currently facing.

The government is also eyeing funds from COCOBOD and the launch of the $3 billion Eurobond.

The cedi has depreciated against the dollar from GHc 4.9 to over GHc 5.5 since the turn of the year.

Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta in comments on the government’s short term move said: “we are going after; $300 million, $600 million and another $750 million and 3 billion and [I think] we should be okay. And all of this should happen within the next two or so weeks.”

But the Minority in Parliament has described these measures as unsustainable.

source: citinewsroom.com

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

Zenith Bank records another 1st in Digital Banking with the introduction of the GH Dual Card in partnership with GhIPSS

Zenith Bank (Ghana) Limited has become the first in Ghana to roll out the Eazypay GH Dual Card, combining...

Special focus needed at Ridge Hospital; management becoming unbecoming – Anas

Investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas has indicated that special attention needs to be given to the management of the Greater Accra Regional Hospital because...

GJA demands swift action against Soldier for assualting TV3’s Journalist

The Ghana Journalists Association has called for an immediate investigation and prosecution of soldier suspected to have brutalized a TV3 journalist. Yesterday, a TV3 cameraman,...

46 foreign owned shops closed down at Circle after traders failed to regularize documents

Forty six foreign-owned shops have been closed down at Circle in Accra after traders failed to regularize documents, which allows them to continue trading...

Banking industry losses over GHC 33 million due to fraud in 2019

Fraud activities in Ghana's banking industry increased in 2019 compared to 2018, a report from the Bank of Ghana on fraud has revealed. The data...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: