An electrical engineer with the La Dadekotopon Municipal Assembly (LADMA) in the Greater-Accra Region has been electrocuted while fixing streetlights at Labone in Accra.
There were earlier reports that a man who was hoisting a political party flag on ECG’s distribution pole was electrocuted in the vicinity of Labone.
However, reacting to the reports, Head of Works Department at LADMA, Ing. Richard Ben Debra said the deceased, Ing. Richard Bortey was a staff of LADMA.
He said the Assembly took delivery of some LED streetlights and the deceased was asked to fix them to illuminate the municipality, adding that he started the exercise on Tuesday but could not finish.
According to him, Ing Bortey resumed the exercise on Wednesday morning at Kweku Baako Street only for the Assembly to be informed in the afternoon that he had been electrocuted while on duty.
An eyewitness was quoted as saying she had earlier engaged Ing Bortey in a friendly conversations.
“Abruptly, he slumped so I raised alarm which drew a crowd to the scene. Unfortunately, he had been electrocuted,” the eyewitness recounted.
The deceased left behind one child.