Kufuor backs Electoral Commission’s decision to compile new voters’ register

Must Read

Close down schools, suspend WASSCE now – NAGRAT

The National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) are calling on government to close down schools and suspend the forthcoming...

I won’t vote Mahama merely because of Jane – Brigitte Dzogbenuku

Former running mate of Dr. Paa Kwesi Nduom, then flagbearer of the Progressive People's Party (PPP), Brigitte Dzogbenuku has...

Ghana Health Service declares Carlos Ahenkorah COVID-19 negative

The Ghana Health Service has declared Hon. Carlos Ahenkorah, the MP for Tema West and former Deputy Minister for...

Former President John Agyekum Kufuor has thrown his weight behind the Electoral Commission in their quest to compile new voters register ahead of the 2020 general elections.

The former President is of the view that the move by the Electoral Commission does not infringe on any laws of the country and is well within their mandate.

To this extent, the former President says the Electoral Commission should be given room to operate and deliver its duties, particularly, in delivering a free, fair and transparent election that will deepen Ghana’s democratic credentials.

Speaking on behalf of the former President, Dr Kwabena Osei-Adubofuor, an aide, disclosed that as long as the Electoral Commission is not breaching any provisions of the constitution, the former President supports their decision to compile a new voters’ register.

“I wouldn’t know but I assume that from the way he said that and the fact that he believes that the Electoral Commission is independent and that nobody can impose his or her will on the Electoral Commission, therefore, what the Electoral Commission (is doing), if it is not evidently clear that it is wrong, then he must support them” he explained in an interview on Joy FM, Thursday.

The Electoral Commission’s decision to compile new voters’ register has sharply divided the political actors and stakeholders.

Whereas the governing New Patriotic Party and a host of parties have thrown their support behind the EC, the opposition National Democratic Congress and some less dominant political parties have formed a coalition to kick against the EC’s plan.

In addition to sending petitions to revered Ghanaians, and statesmen, the coalition has so far organised demonstrations in Tamale, Kumasi and Accra and has promised to occupy the Commission should it go ahead with the proposal.

But addressing a group who paid a courtesy call on him over the ongoing debate about the compilation of the voters’ register, former President Kufuor advised parties who disagree to be civil in their opposition.

He urged them to resort to the court if they deem the actions of the Commission as unlawful or inappropriate to maintain the peace of the state.

The former President stated, “Anything done outside the constitutional procedure, I believe, will run contrary to the wishes of the people generally. Welcome, I have heard you and I believe the people generally will accept the Electoral Commission’s guidance and operations through the processes of registration and electoral procedure.”

“I will urge anybody who feels very strongly or anybody who feels the electoral commission is not getting it right, top take out militancy. You don’t try to occupy the electoral commission because it is not doing its work the way you think it should do it. You do that, then you are running counter to the constitution” he submitted.

Source: ABCNewsGh.com 

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

It’s fake news – Gov’t denies reports President Akufo-Addo has travelled to Kenya

Government has rubbished reports claiming that President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has left the country to...

Teacher trainee allowance brouhaha: NDC turning logic and science on its head – Kweku Baako

Editor-in-Chief of the New Crusading Guide newspaper, Abdul Malik Kweku Baako Junior has watered down the defence mounted by the opposition National Democratic Congress...

COVID-19 hits Archbishop Porter Girls, six other senior high schools in the Western region

At least seven Senior High Schools in the Western Region, including Archbishop Porter Girls have reportedly recorded cases of COVID-19, the Regional Director of...

Reprimand and disown Wontumi over attacks on Prof. Naana Opoku-Agyemang – Kweku Baako to NPP

Editor-in-Chief of the New Crusading Guide newspaper, Abdul Malik Kweku Baako Junior has called on the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) to sanction its...

COVID-19: Casualties rise to 135 as Ghana’s cases near 24,000

Three hundred and seventy-one new cases of COVID-19 have sent Ghana's cumulative cases to 23,834. Likewise, the total number of casualties has risen from 130...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: