Korle-Bu maternity ward NOT on fire – PRO

Must Read

Damongo: Police woman stabbed to death; Boyfriend on the run

A female Police Constable number PWNO 0627, whose name was give as Sandra Asiedu, has been found dead at...

Saglemi contractor was paid $179m for $64m work done – Attorney-General

Documents filed in court on behalf of the Attorney-General alleges that the contractor who executed the Saglemi project has...

Trio present $44, 000 academic scholarship to Chief Imam’s office

The Chairman of Afro-Arab Group of Companies, Alhaji Abdul Salamu Amadu in collaboration with the Chairman for the Centre for...

The Public Relations Officer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Mustapha Salifu has refuted claims that the maternity block of the hospital has been gutted by fire.

A video gone viral on social media Tuesday suggested there is a fire outbreak at the hospital’s maternity ward, showing what is supposed to be the evacuation of newly born babies.

The person filming the incident claimed that the Ghana National Fire Service had been called, but they were yet to get to the hospital to help quench the flame.

The person then appealed to the public for assistance, with a tone of voice that sounded somewhat desperate.

But in a statement, Mustapha Salifu said “It is a false alarm to create panic.”

The PRO explained that the switch of an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom was emitting smoke, but the situation was quickly contained, so there was no fire.

The statement said as a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor, but were not evacuated from the building as the person who shot the video claimed.

“We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff,” the statement added.

Read full statement below:

The Maternity Block of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital(KBTH) is not on fire as being alleged on social media.

What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restrooms of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9 pm yesterday.

The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).

As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.

We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff.

We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism.

Mustapha Salifu
Head of PR
Korle Bu Teaching Hospital

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

MTN FA Cup: Hearts of Oak coach Boadu lauds squad depth after win over Medeama

Hearts of Oak head coach, Samuel Boadu was quick to praise his squad’s depth following their impressive 3-0 win...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: