Asante Kotoko coach, Mariano Barreto has been handed a two-match suspension and fined GH¢3000 for misconduct in their Premier League game against Legon Cities by the Disciplinary Committee of the Ghana Football Association (GFA).
After the game, the former Black Stars coach Barreto made allegation against the referees by stating that the Porcupine Warriors played 11 against 15.
Also, coach Barreto made verbal offensive statements about the performance of the referees by stating that the referee only makes mistakes against Kotoko, a statement made without proof and brings the game into disrepute.
According to the Disciplinary Committee, the 64-year-old pleaded not guilty and stated that his comments were misconstrued because he was referring to the 11 players and the 3 substitutes players of Legon Cities who played the match.
Below is the decision of the GFA Disciplinary Committee on Mariano Barreto:
1. That the Committee found the evidence of Mariano Barreto not convincing.
2. That Mariano Barreto is found guilty of the Charges.
3. A fine of GHc3,000 is hereby imposed on Mariano Barreto in accordance with Article 6.1(c) of GFA Disciplinary Code
4. That Mariano Barreto, Head Coach of Asante Kotoko SC is hereby handed a two-match suspension in accordance with Article 6(2)(a) of the GFA Disciplinary Code.
5. Mariano Barreto is warned that any future misconduct shall receive a more severe punishment.