The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has hinted that the use of naked flames and illegal electricity connection may have led to the fire outbreak at Odawna Market.
The fire which started around 1 am today, has destroyed the entire market, leaving no shop untouched.
Shop owners and eyewitnesses complained bitterly about how the Ghana Fire Service squad arrived late and failed to bring fire tenders containing water, leading to the spread of the fire.
But Public Relations Officer of the GNFS, Robinson Ellis Okoe blamed traders and residents for delaying in calling for emergency assistance, adding that the market was also congested so it was difficult for the fire tenders to access the market and quench the fire.
He believes the difficulty in accessing he market was the reason the fire got out of control before the fire fighters could quench it.
Robbinson Okoe therefore rejected claims by eyewitnesses and traders at the market that the negligence of the fire fighters led to the complete destruction of the market.
According to Mr. Okoe, the fire is still on and it may not be put out completely by close of day, but the team of fire fighters will work to ensure the situation is put under control.
On his part, MCE for Klotey Korle, Nii Adjei Tawiah said Government in collaboration with the market leadership will meet to ascertain the cause and find lasting solutions to the recurring situation.
He noted that there are no casualties even though people sleep in the market against the rules of the Assembly, adding that he does not believe the fire tenders which went to the scene did not contain water as some eyewitnesses claimed.
“The whole market is burnt down,” the MCE said.