At least 21 people, including pregnant women and children have reportedly been killed in a collapse at an illegal mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The accident as reported by BBC happened at a mine in the eastern town of Kampene last Wednesday where dozens of people were working.
Fourteen people were initially reported dead after the collapse, but a source later confirmed seven more deaths to the BBC which shot the death toll up to 21.
A Civil society campaigner Justin Kyanga Asumani said the accident happened at about 14:00 local time (13:00 GMT) at the illegal mine in the province of Maniema.
Maniema governor Augustin Musafiri confirmed that 21 bodies had been confirmed, reports the AFP news agency.
DR Congo’s informal mining sector which according to reports has poor safety standards are said to be notorious for accidents.
In June, dozens of miners were killed when a copper and cobalt mine in DR Congo’s Lualaba province collapsed.
Reserves of cobalt and other minerals like diamonds, copper and gold, should make DR Congo one of the richest countries in Africa, but its people are among the poorest.
Unofficial, or clandestine, mining is common in mineral-rich areas but efforts by security services to try to stop it are often fruitless according to BBC.