COVID-19: Over 200 persons await second negative test to be discharged from treatment facilities

Must Read

www.abcnewsgh.comhttps://abcnewsgh.com
ABC News Ghana is an investigative media house that focuses on politics, sports and the economy. Our work is thoroughly researched, balanced and fair. Our vision is to become the most preferred indigenous news brand for men in West Africa.

The Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Patrick Kumah Aboagye, has said over 200 individuals recuperating from the COVID-19 pandemic are awaiting a second negative test in order to be discharged.

The country’s case count of the disease is at 2,719, including 294 recoveries and 18 deaths.

Addressing the media in Accra on Tuesday, May 5, 2020, the Ghana Health Service Boss revealed that over 129,000 persons have so far been tested under the enhanced contact surveillance exercise.

“Currently we have about 294 of the patients who have recovered after testing negative on two consecutive occasions and we currently have more than 200 patients awaiting their second negative test so that they can also be declared recovered and discharged,” he said.

“One of the key areas of intervention is isolation; where people who are positive and are asymptomatic or do not have any underlying conditions are either managed at home or sent to an isolation center. Currently, for our isolation situation, we have 453 patients across the country at various isolation centers. 339 are in Accra, we have 85 in Eastern Region and about nine in Ashanti.”

The Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research said it has finished testing the backlog of about 18,000 samples, giving it room to now test and report on samples within 24 hours, Dr. Aboagye also indicated.

He acknowledged that the last batch of the backlog was freed over the weekend and the results are part of the new 550 cases confirmed in the last Ghana Health Service update.

“As of now, we have recorded 2,719 cases across the country. This covers all the cases that were diagnosed since the first case was diagnosed on the 12th of March. Since the last update, we’ve had an increase of about 550 cases and this has come out of the nearly 18,000 tests conducted in the last few days over the weekend, wiping out the entire backlog at Noguchi,” he said.

 

Source: ABCNewsgh.com

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

Government commences construction of 78km Manso-Huni Valley railway line – Amewu

As part of government's effort to develop a vibrant transport sector to propel socio-economic development, Minister for Railway Development,...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: