COVID-19: Less than 5% of 15, 000 contacts traced so far will test positive – Okoe-Boye

Must Read

No need to investigate Professor Mills’ death, let him rest in peace – Samuel Atta-Mills

Member of Parliament for Komenda-Edina-Eguafo-Abrem, Samuel Atta Mills has kicked against any form of investigation to unravel and publicise...

Fear grips Kofi Buah over Catherine Afeku’s growing influence in Nzemaland

Two different constituencies with two political heads sharing a common border on Nzema land. That is the story of 'twin'...

Prampram pallbearers featured in Donald Trump’s campaign videos

American President, Donald Trump has used Ghana's dancing pallbearers in his campaign video against rival Joe Biden. The less than...

Deputy Health Minister-designate, Dr. Bernard Okoe-Boye has projected that less than 5% of the about 15, 000 samples taken for testing for COVID-19 will turn out positive.

Dr. Okoe-Boye said he will be very surprised should Ghana record more than 5% positive cases from the samples taken so far because they have a lower risk exposure hence their chances of contracting the virus are low.

Even with those who test positive, the Ledzokuku MP says the possibility of spreading the virus to people around them is minimal.

“When you look at the mandatorily quarantined people, we had 1030, 105 came out positive. If you look at their percentage, that is 10%. Their group has a higher risk compared to contacts who have been traced and put in a group. So if these 15,384 people belong to a group that had been imported then I would have expected our positive cases to be in a range of 7-10 percent,” the Deputy Health Minister-designate argued on Point of View on Citi FM.

He added, “What I am pleased with is that this is a group whose risk is lower than the mandatorily quarantined” and opined, “Let me say that this 15, 384 their risk is very unlikely to be like the 10% we had in those that had been quarantined mandatorily. I am hoping that we do something that will be below 500. If we do 100, we are lucky, we do 50 same because the number is huge. Ben, even if we are doing 100, it is 5% that might be, not would, might be severely ill, that is 5 people. Let us hope for the best.”

The about 15, 000 persons who are awaiting results of a test conducted on them for COVID-19 are part of a group of about 19, 000 persons contacted and samples taken by a team of health professionals undertaking enhanced surveillance, contact tracing, and testing.

On Tuesday, April 7, the Information Minister disclosed that 14 out of about 7,400 people whose samples were taken, tested positive.

The remaining samples, he mentioned, are still undergoing tests and the results will be made known when ready.

Dr. Okoe-Boye said judging from tests conducted on persons who had come into contact with infected persons in Ghana he is confident the country will not be overwhelmed with lots of cases.

“The Legon student who came back, all those that were traced, the contacts, more than 80 of them not even 1 was positive,” he emphasised.

Ghana has confirmed about 287 cases of coronavirus with 49 awaiting final tests to be confirmed as fully recovered.

5 persons have, however, died whiles the rest are receiving treatment.

 

Source: ABCNewsgh.com 

 

 

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

I have not tested positive for COVID-19 – Deputy Information Minister

Deputy Information Minister, Nana Ama Dokua Asiamah-Adjei has described as fake news viral information indicating she has tested positive...

Parliament doesn’t know number of COVID-19 MPs – Kate Addo insists

Parliament is insisting that it doesn't know the number of Members of Parliament and its staff who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus...

Kyirabosom goes berserk on radio presenter over ‘failed’ COVID-19 restrictions prophecy

It was 'fireworks' between the Founder and General Overseer of the Life Assembly Worship Centre, Rev. Christian Kwabena Andrews, widely known as Kyiri Abosom,...

Stimulus package for sports sector to be announced soon – Sports Ministry assures

The Ministry of Youth and Sports has dismissed media reports suggesting that it has abandoned the sporting sector to its fate in the wake...

We don’t regard Benjamin Kessie as MCE; he is illegitimate – Tarkwa-Nsuaem Assembly members protest

Mr. Benjamin Kessie is walking a tightrope as the new Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) of the Tarkwa-Nsuaem Municipal Assembly after he was described as...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: