Accra circuit court grants Oppong Nkrumah’s impersonator GHC 12,000 bail

Must Read

Accra circuit court grants Oppong Nkrumah’s impersonator GHC 12,000 bail

A 31-year-old Nigerian woman has been granted bail by an Accra Circuit for impersonating the Minister for Information, Kojo...

New voters’ register may be NPP’s doom in 2020 – Kofi Bentil

Vice President of IMANI Ghana, Kofi Bentil, has opined that the push by the governing New Patriotic Party for...

I will resign and join NDC if they boycott upcoming voter registration exercise – Sammi Awuku

National Organiser for the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Sammi Awuku has dared the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC)...

A 31-year-old Nigerian woman has been granted bail by an Accra Circuit for impersonating the Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah and other ministers to defraud unsuspecting victims to the tune of about GHC10,000.

According to the police, the accused person, Vivian Sajida Imran, together with her husband, Prince Joel, currently at large, have been charged with eight counts of falsely pretending to be a public officer and defrauding under false pretence.

She was granted bail in the sum of GH₵12,000.00 with two sureties, one of whom must be a public servant, earning not less than GH₵1,200 after her lawyer prayed the court to grant her bail.

Beware of imposters using my name for fraud – Information Minister cautions public

Presenting the facts of the case to the court on Friday, State Prosecutor Detective Frederick Sarpong told the court that in April, the accused persons used the names of Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah; Foreign Affairs Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway; and the Deputy National Security Minister, Henry Quartey, to create multiple Facebook accounts and pretended to be ministers.

According to the detective, the first and the second accused suspects, through online chats and phone calls informed their unsuspecting victims that they could secure them jobs at Tema Oil Refinery, Ghana Gas or COCOBOD.

Following this, the suspects requested the victims to pay various amounts to mobile money accounts in order for their application forms and interviews to be facilitated.

The monies amounting to about GH₵10, 200 were paid to their mobile money accounts. The prosecutor told the court that a search conducted in the suspect’s rooms revealed six mobile phones, including the three mobile money numbers, used to receive the monies from the victims.

He explained that an order of the court was sought and a forensic examination was carried out on the retained mobile phones. One of them was found to contain a SIM number which had been registered in the name of the first accused person.

The same number was found to be the final destination where the ‘booties’ obtained from the victims were transferred and later withdrawn.

During investigations, the prosecutor said the first accused person admitted being the owner of the mobile money number. With the number in hand, the police contacted the victims, and they narrated their ordeal.

The case has been adjourned to June 3, 2020 as efforts are being made to track the second accused person.

 

SourceABC News

Submit your stories or articles to newsroom@abcnewsgh.com or Whatsapp them to +233 553620623

- Advertisement -

Comments

Latest News

Meet the 35-year-old Nurse who now doubles as a Lawyer

Elizabeth Owusua became a social media sensation after she shared a LinkedIn post about how she fulfilled her dreams...

One more person dies of COVID-19, 66 new infections recorded

Ghana's COVID-19 cases have increased from 6,617 to 6,683 after 66 new infections were recorded on Saturday. However, one more person has succumbed to death...

WHO elects Ghana’s Health Minister to serve on Executive Board

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has elected the Minister for Health, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu to serve on the Executive Board of the organisation. This follows after...

Stranded Ghanaians abroad: Akufo-Addo’s government most insensitive, uncoordinated – Ablakwa

Ranking Member of Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has described the Akufo-Addo led government as the most insensitive and uncoordinated with regards...

Pressure on morgues as families refuse to hold private burials

As Ghana continues to fight the novel coronavirus amid a ban on social gatherings among others, many families and individuals have halted functions and...

More Articles Like This

%d bloggers like this: